We moved into this house in April of 2010 and I have put a great deal of my time into making it feel like home. My previous house was one I called home for thirteen years and was quite a bit smaller so for the first several months in this house, we could literally hear our voices echo throughout the rooms and down the hallway.
When I began furnishing it, I reminded myself time and time again of a quote by William Morris that I have always loved...
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."
Best advice ever. It is where we spend so much of our time which is why I am a firm believer that there should be no other place on earth able to evoke such a feeling of comfort and sense of peace than that of our own home.
Welcome to mine.
Here you will find...
1. Dogs. Coming home to a house without a dog is not something I'm willing to do. It is my personal opinion that a home just isn't complete without one. Or two. Or in my case, three.
2. A little touch of whimsy, here and there.
3. Books. I do have a Kindle now but I still love my books. Sometimes I buy old ones at antique stores simply because I love the look and smell of them. I feel about books much the way I feel about dogs. No home is complete without them.
Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house. ~Henry Ward Beecher
4. Messes...Laundry that needs doing, beds that weren't made, projects awaiting completion, dirty dishes in the sink and some places they shouldn't be, disorganized closets, way too many junk drawers, a sticky hand print (just the right size of a nine year old boy's) on the window I just yesterday cleaned...
5. Reminders. Like these...
6. Humor. Because I honestly do not know how anyone gets through life without it.
7. Lots of framed photos. The ones of the boys when they were still tiny and sweet are especially helpful to see when one of them is being an exceptional pain in the arse.
8. The color RED. I am a lover of color, in general, but red just flat out makes me happy which is why it is used as an accent color throughout many of the rooms in my house but the half bath/laundry room is the reddest room of all. And also where I hang these old vintage framed floral prints I find at the different antique and thrift shops I love to visit.
9. All the things boys are made of... Dirty socks all over the house, potato chips crumbs on the floor, towels on the bathroom floor, BB guns, fireworks, mud-stained ball pants, cleats, and all the many shades of blue...
10. My heart. Here, you will find my heart.