1. I was checking out at Target this week when I was asked for i.d. This puzzled me for two reasons... 1) I haven't been mistaken for under 21 in a real long time, and 2) I was not buying alcohol or anything else I could think of that would in any way require me to present identification.
Confused, I looked at the cashier sideways and said, "Why? What did I buy?" He then proceeded to lift the Triaminic cold/cough formula up and said, "Just tell me your date of birth".
So yeah, I got semi-carded while purchasing some cold medicine for my 10 year old. The world is becoming a strange place to me.
2. Just before I went to Target, I was in Old Navy waiting in line (new cashier in training) to buy a pair of sweatpants I found on clearance for 11.94 when I heard one of the most annoying sounds known to my ears.
I looked up to see the culprit (a young-ish male) exiting the store in his jeans and flip flops though his should have been called flip slides because he was giving them that little half flip and then shuffling them across the floor with no flop to speak of....
Ugh. They are called flip FLOPS for a reason. Please pick up your feet and flop them properly!
3. I read an online article last week that I have not been able to stop thinking about, 6 Words You Should Say Today. Best.advice.ever. So simple yet somehow I never thought to do it. I have really taken these words to heart and encourage you to click on over and read it too.
4. Ever since I got my first iPhone last year I've had the morning alarm set on the Marimba sound. Those of you who have an iPhone no doubt know this one well because I think 90 percent of iPhone users use it for their ringtone.
I say this because every time I'm out in public, without fail, I hear this sound at least once and it always.makes.me.cringe. because it reminds me of my stinkin' alarm so rudely and LOUDLY waking me up at 6:15 a.m., five days a week. I start having flashback twitches because all I can think is HELLOOOO! WAKE UP!!!! IT'S TIME TO WAKE UP!!! WAKE UP! WAKE UP NOW!!!
It has truly become one of the most annoying sounds imaginable to me (right up there with flip-SLIIIDE). So I finally got smart last night and changed it to the Harp sound. And it actually worked! I mean I won't go so far as to say I was happy about my alarm going off this morning but it was so much less disturbing to my sleep peace.
5. Neither of my boys have ever been big reading-for-pleasure kind of dudes, much to my book-loving chagrin, which is why I am always beyond thrilled when I see one of them take an interest in a book, any book.
Dracen bought some books at his school book fair a couple of weeks ago and read this one for over an hour last night! So if you have a 3rd-7th grade boy who is not that into reading, here ya go. Thank you, Jeffrey Brown.
6. I get more excited than I probably should about the return of t.v. this time of year. The best new show I've seen thus far is Blacklist with James Spader that aired Monday night at 10 pm on NBC. I've always found James Spader to have such an irresistible sort of mysterious creepiness about him that nobody else possesses.
I mean creepy, mysterious and irresistible? In one person? Who can do that? Only James Spader.
7. And lastly, just a few reasons why I love the Pinterest so dang much.