She and the assistant had these templates of faces they passed out for us to trace onto drawing paper, color and then hang in the classroom. The boys got to choose from things like policeman or doctor while our options included a nurse or a teacher. There may have been more, I can't recall. What I do recall is not wanting to be any of them. I resented the entire assignment.
I was six for crying out loud! How was I supposed to know with certainty (I was very literal) what I wanted to do with the rest of my life! It was too much pressure. So I thought of what my mother did. I knew she worked in an office but really had no idea what her job description was or what all it entailed. I think I just assumed any woman who worked in an office was a secretary so I told them I wanted to be a secretary though I really had no desire whatsoever to ever actually be a secretary.
The teacher's assistant was stumped, this I remember. Because she then had a conversation with the teacher about which template to give me. I think they gave me the nurse and had me leave off her little nursing hat.
Anyway, that's the memory that rushed to the front when I first saw the Listicles topic for today, 10 Things You Thought As A Child You Would Do/Be. Then I thought about it a little more and here are a few childhood dreams that came to mind...
1. Solid Gold Dancer. I was dead serious about this one.
2. Veterinarian. Aways did love the critters but I think I always knew in my heart that I did not have the stomach for any career involving bodily fluids and needles.
3. Zookeeper. Somehow I thought this one would be less messy. Then I thought of elephant poop.
4. Samantha Stevens. Bewitched was one of my most favorite shows on t.v. and I actually thought that if I could just learn to twitch my nose precisely the way Sam did, I could one day rule the world. Or at least just never, ever have to clean my room again.
6. Jeannie. I Dream of Jeannie was right up there with Bewitched so I thought that if I couldn't be Samantha, I'd settle for Jeannie. I think I mostly just wanted the ability to pop in and out of that awesome pad she had inside that little bottle.
7. Librarian. How did the same girl who aspired to be a Solid Gold Dancer also think she might like to be a librarian? I can't say but I do remember having this thought more than once. Books were always like magic to me.
8. Artist. And by artist I think I just wanted to be able to paint and draw well but no matter how much I practiced my hand at it, I finally came to the realization that this was just not one of my God-given talents. Pfft.
9. Singer. The was a dream from the moment I heard and watched Olivia Newton-John singing and getting her groove on in Grease. I had the album and I practiced. A lot. Unfortunately, this one went much like number 8. Sigh.
10. Wonder Woman. Was there a little girl alive in the 70's who didn't fantasize about this?
And some dreams never die...