Today I'm joining in for the first time for Monday Listicles with Northwest Mommy. I just could not resist the opportunity to list 10 things that give me anxiety...
1. Report card day. And it is coming up very soon since today and tomorrow are teacher workdays here. They are being prepared as I type. It gives me more anxiety now than it did when I was receiving them myself (with the exception of 10th grade when I was flunking Algebra). Lecturing/punishing/talking to a twelve year old for or about anything leaves me feeling the urge to curl up in a ball and suck my thumb.
2. Dental appointments. Just typing that brought a feeling of nausea over me. And my next one is coming up next month.
3. Fighting/Bickering/Arguing/Shouting. I do not deal well with conflict or turmoil of any kind and my boys are at each other's throats more often than not. And no, I'm not on medication. I just pray and blog. A lot.
4. Those animal abuse commercials. Specifically the one with Sarah McLachlan. Talk about ruining an otherwise perfectly fine day. Animal abuse makes me want to go all ape sh*t on somebody's arse.
5. Trying on jeans or swimsuits. Swimsuits for obvious reasons and jeans because it is next to impossible to find a pair to fit my body. I'm not lacking any junk in the trunk so finding a pair to fit that without having the gap at the lower back big enough to hold a watermelon is no small feat and leaves me feeling lightheaded and a little like I've just run a marathon. Not that I would really know that though because I do not run. Unless I'm chasing Brisco the bolting wiener dog. Which brings me to number six...
6. Bolting wiener dogs. We adopted Brisco (Big Boy) and Charlene (Li'l Bit) in 2009. The fosters warned us that Brisco is a "bolter". Come again? I had had fourteen years experience with Dachshunds at the time but had never heard of one doing this.
They did not exaggerate. He is a bolter and will seize any opportunity he gets in order to buzz past you and out of the open door that does not lead into the fence and hightail it to the woods at the speed of light. I have chased him through a creek, down a steep hill, through briers, woods and backyards more times than I care to remember. So has every other member of this household.
When the doorbell rings, we all immediately look around for Brisco the Bolter and secure him before opening the door. Fool me eleven times, shame on you! Fool me twelve, shame on me!
7. Grocery shopping. I'm not sure what it is exactly that I hate so much about this task but I loathe it and will put it off for as long as I possibly can.
8. Being asked to serve on a committee. This is extremely awkward for me because it's not that I don't care about the cause or that I'm unwilling to help out... I just don't do committees.
9. Hearing "Momm! The toilet is stopped up!" Yeah, I don't think this one needs an explanation.
10. Worrying about the well-being of my boys and other loved ones. I don't think I'm ever completely without worry. It's like I somehow believe that if I don't acknowledge something as a possibility and place it in my worry box, then it has a greater chance of happening. I know it's completely irrational and unhealthy but as much as I pray about it and blog about it, I just can't seem to let go of the worry.
But I'm working on it...